Vizag ZOO needs your help


I recently came across a news item which I have scanned and am pasting here:

Do Vizagites have our priorities right?
The news report says that Vizagites do not adopt animals, birds or reptiles at our Indira Gandhi Zoological Park. The report says that only 15 donors have come forward till date. I know that one of the 15 is myself. I made a Rs. 11,000 contribution in March 2012.

Every few days we hear of people dropping crores worth of cash and jewelry into temple hundis as if to tell God "here is a little something for you - help me to earn even more money and I will continue to give you a commission" . While they attempt to appease God, they do not bother about God's creatures.


A stanza of a poem by William Henry Monk which I read in school comes back to me:
All things bright and beautiful,
All creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful:
The Lord God made them all


It is a matter of great concern when those with means spend like crazy on throwing parties and on jewelry, clothes, gadgets and exotic holidays but do not show the social maturity to adopt an animal at our very own zoo.

The zoo needs to enhance their customer relations skills
Mr. Ramalingam, the zoo curator, has taken some excellent initiatives like banning plastic bags in the zoo premises. Unfortunately the zoo administrator's customer relations skills are quite poor. Experts who handle fund raising know that the most important thing is to build a bond with the donor. That way the donor continues to feel involved in the enterprise.

However after I paid my donation I had zero contact from the zoo. Not even a thank you email. They say that you get free admission, whereas all they grudgingly offer is a one time free admission worth perhaps hundred rupees or less.

If I were soliciting funds I would put the donor on my mail list and keep him or her informed of the developments in the zoo. I would give them a button or a badge saying "I love Vizag zoo". I would make a  club of persons who want to support the zoo, have talks on animals, small events or movies when all donors get invited. I would make a car or bike sticker that allows the vehicle to enter the zoo without payment for a specified period. There are a hundreds of things that can be done to build a buzz around supporting the zoo and our animal friends there. But alas, we are dealing with a Government organisation and good marketing would perhaps be too much to expect.

Write that cheque now
All the same guys, take out your cheque books, go over to the zoo, visit the curator's office and make that donation. Your place will be booked in heaven. God knows we will be born in another avatar in the next life and we will probably need a generous donor then.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Science of Urinals

Whats your pole number?

Vizag's famous and historical Kurupam Market gone for ever