The mystery of the Bisleri Bottles

Last evening it rained cats and dogs (and I stepped into a poodle!) This morning I went down to the beach road for a walk. I was hoping to walk along our pristine sands breathing in the fresh sea air and watching the sea gulls strutting at the water's edge. Yeah - in my dreams. But what I found was plenty of garbage, quite a stink and thousands of crows (bless them for they help clean our mess). I pity Vizag's beach cleaning brigade, the GVMC sanitary workers -  they have quite a job cleaning up the beach after a storm. But I digress...

What caught my attention was a heap of bottles gathered by a couple of beach combers. Some bottles were already filled in large sacks and others were lying in neat piles. I asked them how many they had collected and from where. They said around 300 or so bottles already this morning from the gedda nearby. I was curious and asked him how much they were worth. He said the going rate was Rs. 15 per kg and he hoped to collect around 15 kg at that spot.



I wondered where the bottles came from. They were all of the same size - 500ml. They were all the same brand - "Bisleri". The labels were all intact indicating that the bottles had arrived at the beach overnight, otherwise the adhesive would have dissolved and the labels fallen off. It became apparent that this was the work of a maha serial litterer. Someone who had a function at which food and Bisleri water was served. 


After the dinner, the staff must have just dumped all the waste into the gedda leaving it to the almighty to dispose off! In normal circumstances the bottles would have remained there, trapped behind a couple of meshes installed by GVMC on the path of the gedda flow. But due to the heavy rains of last night the water gushed so hard down the gedda that the bottles, being light floaters, did a hop skip and jump over the meshes and landed up on the beach through that cavernous gedda opening on the beach. That's the theory.

In an investigative frame of mind, I headed "upstream" of the gedda whence these bottles allegedly came from. Dodging a few dogs that took a special interest in my ankles I found a vantages position to look further up the gedda. It was quite clean this morning with some muck still stuck on the meshed barricades. I looked upstream of the gedda but could not see beyond the bend where the potential source of these mysterious bottles probably was.


If I were the sanitary inspector of GVMC I would have tracked down the evil entity that chucked the muck into the gedda. How you ask? Elementary my dear friend. I would ask the Bisleri distributor as to who he had made this large supply of water to yesterday or a little earlier. A few gentle enquiries as to who got their daughter or son married a little upstream of the gedda would definitely yield results.
Having zeroed in on the culprit I would slap a hefty fine on the rascal and put his name in the papers under the "name and shame" scheme. Better still, I would make it the responsibility of "Bisleri" or  their agent in Vizag to collect back the bottles at their cost. 

I just do not understand why my tax money should go to clean up some irresponsible idiot's mess. Add insult to ugliness - the owners of Bisleri (Ramesh Chauhan?) makes money while defiling our city and many like ours. This makes me angry - grrrrrr - and it should make you angry too. I wish I had the power and authority to kick some butt, but I am just a humble helpless citizen of Vizag. All I can do is fume and fret and cuss like a crazy old fool. There - my rant has gone public ... I am at peace now.  Good night.

Comments

Partho Ray said…
"All I can do is fume and fret . . . . . to Good Night."
Pathetic!
dream care said…
its very nice blog! Bottle Cover

Unknown said…
it’s very nice blog! Dispenser Bottle Covers online

Unknown said…

ITS VERY NICE BLOG! Bottle Covers

Popular posts from this blog

The Science of Urinals

Whats your pole number?

Vizag's famous and historical Kurupam Market gone for ever